- A number assigned to a quantity so that it may be compared with other quantities.
- A property that can be described by a real number, such as the volume of a sphere or the length of a vector.
major arc 优弧
The longer of the two arcs produced by a secant of a circle.
major axis 主轴
The axis of an ellipse that passes through the two foci.
- A large amount or quantity of something.
- A property of matter equal to the measure of the amount of matter contained in or constituting a physical body that partly determines the body’s resistance to changes in the speed or direction of its motion. The mass of an object is not dependent on gravity and therefore is different from but proportional to its weight.
math / maths / mathematics 数学
The systematic treatment of magnitude, relationships between figures and forms, and relations between quantities expressed symbolically.
The greatest quantity or degree reached or recorded; the upper limit of variation.
- The average value of a set of numbers.
- A number that typifies a set of numbers, such as a geometric mean or an arithmetic mean.
measure / measurement 测量；程度
- A reference standard or sample used for the quantitative comparison of properties.
- The dimensions, quantity, or capacity of something as ascertained by comparison with a standard.
median 中位数; 中线
- The middle number in a given sequence of numbers, taken as the average of the two middle numbers when the sequence has an even number of numbers: 4 is the median of 1, 3, 4, 8, 9.
- A line that joins a vertex of a triangle to the midpoint of the opposite side.
- The line that joins the midpoints of the nonparallel sides of a trapezoid.
metre / meter 米，公尺；仪表
- The international standard unit of length, approximately equivalent to 39.37 inches. It was redefined in 1983 as the distance traveled by light in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
- Any of various devices designed to measure time, distance, speed, or intensity or indicate and record or regulate the amount or volume, as of the flow of a gas or an electric current.
metric system 公制
A decimal system of units based on the meter as a unit length, the kilogram as a unit mass, and the second as a unit time.
The point of a line segment or curvilinear arc that divides it into two parts of the same length.
A thousand-year period of holiness mentioned in the book of Revelation, during which Jesus and his faithful followers are to rule on earth.
millilitre / milliliter 毫升
A unit for measuring the volume of liquids and gases; a 1 000th of a litre.
The cardinal number equal to 106, a thousand times one thousand.
- The smallest number in a finite set of numbers.
- A value of a function that is less than any other value of the function over a specific interval.
minor arc 劣弧
An arc that is smaller than a semicircle.
minor axis 短轴
The axis of an ellipse that is perpendicular to the major axis at a point equidistant from the foci, the shorter or shortest axis.
The number from which another number is to be subtracted. In the equation 50 – 16 = 34, the minuend is 50.
minus 减; 负号; 负值
- Reduced by the subtraction of; less: 10 – 4 = 6, ten minus four is six.
- The minus sign: -.
- A negative quantity.
- A unit of time equal to one sixtieth of an hour, or 60 seconds.
- A unit of angular measurement equal to one sixtieth of a degree, or 60 seconds. Also called arcminute, minute of arc.
minute hand 分针
The long hand on a clock or watch that indicates minutes.
mirror image 镜象
An object that corresponds to another object in the same way as it would correspond to its image in a mirror.
mixed numbers 带分数
Mixed numbers contain a combination of an integer and a proper fraction, such as 4½.
- A representation, usually on a smaller scale, of a device, structure, etc.
- An interpretation of a formal system in which all the theorems of that system are true.
moire pattern 波纹图形；网纹状图形
multiplication tables 乘法表
multiplicative identity 乘法单位
multiplicative inverse 倒数
mutually exclusive events 互斥事件